Leonora Christine, Queen of the Blue Tower was commissioned by Den Anden Opera in 1998
First performance: 29th of March, 1999
First Cast: Leonora Christina: Edith Guillaume, Karen: Maria Stenz, Jailor: Jens Bruno Hansen
Solo voices: Mezzo, Alto, Bass Baritone
Duration: 120 min.
Publisher: Edition Wilhelm Hansen
Diskografi | Hør lyd |
- An opera which powerfully heightens its prison story with restraint and simplicity. I can imagine it being spine-chillingly effective in a simple staging.
Michael Olivier, Gramophone, 01-10-2001
- A wonderful, yet disturbing, opera that hopefully will be staged again soon.
David Hackbridge Johnson, Classical Music Web, 01-10-2001
- High and lowbrow culture meet in this work which puts on display the anguished soul of a dethroned queen.
, Information, 15-06-2001
- Not only does Andy Pape serve up a mesh of musical styles, he also manages to elegantly combine classic opera with the ballad-genre.
**** (4 out of 6 stars)Carl Skøtt, Nordjyske Stiftstidende, 14-06-2001
- This is opera for everybody.
**** (4 out of 6 stars)Gregers Dirckinck-Holmfeld, Ekstra Bladet , 30-03-1999
- A psychological drama of the kind Benjamin Britten was so adept at in his best operas. All in all, this is a tremendous achievement.
Guy Rickards, Tempo
- Dramatic, however also surprisingly humorous. Once again, Andy Pape has managed to combine high and lowbrow aesthetics – and the result is not too shabby.
**** (4 out of 5 stars)Lilo Sørensen
- A sweepingly elegant piece of musical drama.